When you don't understand the career benefits of personal branding, it's understandable why you might respond negatively - this sounds like a time suck, no-one cares about what I have to say, the C-suite doesn't use social media or I'm too old to be an Influencer... we've heard them all!
When the results are clear, when the outcomes that others have achieved are communicated and when there are relatable examples all around, getting people to buy-in to employee advocacy, social selling or in-house influencer programmes is somewhere that demand often outweighs supply! The results speak for themselves and people who are not taking a strategic approach to raising their profile are undoubtedly the ones who will be missing out on opportunities.
Here are 10 reasons (and there are many more) as to why people in careers should be investing in their personal brand. After all, it really is the only aspect of a career that you have complete control over.
- Increased credibility: A strong personal brand can increase an employee's credibility within their company and industry, as they'll be perceived as knowledgeable and passionate about their field.
- Networking opportunities: A well-developed personal brand can attract more networking opportunities, as people will be more inclined to connect and collaborate with individuals who have a clear and strong personal brand.
- Job security: By showcasing their skills, expertise, and accomplishments, employees can demonstrate their value to the company and secure their position within the organisation.
- Career advancement: A strong personal brand can help employees stand out from their peers, leading to more opportunities for promotions and career growth.
- Attracting better job offers: Companies are more likely to attract top talent when their employees have strong personal brands, as it reflects well on the organisation's overall reputation.
- Becoming a thought leader: Employees with a strong personal brand can establish themselves as thought leaders in their industry, which can lead to speaking engagements, guest blogging opportunities, and other forms of recognition.
- More confidence: Taking the time to develop a personal brand can boost employees' self-esteem and confidence in their abilities, leading to improved job performance and satisfaction.
- Extended visibility: A well-crafted personal brand can help employees gain more visibility within their industry, leading to more opportunities for collaboration and career advancement.
- Enhanced online presence: A strong personal brand can improve an employee's online presence, making it easier for potential employers, clients, and collaborators to find and connect with them.
- Personal satisfaction: Developing a personal brand can give employees a sense of pride and accomplishment, as they'll be able to see the tangible results of their hard work and dedication to their careers.